Tuesday 2 August 2011

All Blacks wing Hosea Gear is relishing his return to the playing field after recovering sufficiently from a hamstring injury

The Hurricanes' speedster has been struggling to shrug off the recurring injury since the All Blacks' first training camp in Wellington.

However, Gear looks set to return to New Zealand's starting line-up against Australia at Eden Park in Auckland on Saturday.

Although he finished 2010 as the incumbent left wing in the national set-up, Gear is aware of the threat posed from fellow flyers out wide: Cory Jane, Zac Guildford and Sitiveni Sivivatu - especially after the trio's impressive performances in the recent Tests against South Africa and Fiji.

"You want to be out there but I've had to deal with the hand I've been dealt," Gear told Stuff.

"I've focused on trying to get my rehab right and now it's about moving on to my next task.

"The way Zac and Cory [Jane] played in the weekend I see them as the best wingers in the world so it's a good opportunity to measure myself up against those guys.

"Every time you put the black jersey on you've got to have that mindset that it can be taken away from you in any second."

Jane, in particular, grabbed the opportunity with both hands when given another shot to play for the All Blacks.

After a poor Super Rugby campaign with the struggling Hurricanes, Jane was initially picked as part of an injury replacement group that covered for Gear, Israel Dagg and Isaia Toeava.

But after a stellar performance in the All Blacks' 40-7 romp over the Boks in Wellington at the weekend, he is right back in contention for a World Cup spot.

"We're sort of in the same boat. He's proved you don't need a lot of game-time to play well. There's evidence right there that it can be done," Gear said.

Judging from the All Blacks' training run this week, it's very likely that as much as five former or current Hurricanes (Gear, Jane, Piri Weepu, Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith) will be in the starting XV against Australia.

Gear is excited by this prospect.

"If I'm selected and out there with the Hurricanes boys at least I've got a pretty good relationship with them," he said.

"I've played with them for the last few years. We understand each other's play and that's positive.

"I got up to full pace last week, which is good news. It's a matter of getting a bit faster now."

Another former Hurricane, Andrew Hore, will further his career at the Highlanders next season and there are rumours that Gear will join the All Blacks hooker at the Dunedin-based franchise.

But Gear said he won't be rushed into making a decision on where he would be playing next season.

"I'm still undecided," confirmed Gear.

"I've got more important things ahead of me at this stage. I'm keeping the Super Rugby stuff in the back pocket for now."

No comments:

Post a Comment