Friday 5 August 2011

When pivot Jonny Wilkinson plays for England against Wales on Saturday, it could be his final appearance for his country at Twickenham Stadium

The Rugby Football Union's new regulation that players who play their club rugby outside of the Aviva Premiership will be ineligible for England selection, will come into effect after the RWC.

Wilkinson, who has signed a new contract with Top 14 side Toulon, said it was not easy to know that it could be his farewell Test at Twickenham.

"It's a tough one," Wilkinson told Eurosport.

"It has been an incredible part of my life to date. To have been on that field so many times and have experienced all the highs and lows has been amazing.

"The thought of not having it any more is not one I wish to consider. It is a difficult situation. You don't want to deal with that kind of emotion."

Wilkinson has been a crowd favourite at Twickenham since his making his debut there against Ireland in 1998.

The 32-year-old fly-half said he hoped to reach an agreement with the RFU, which would designate him as a special case.

"I don't like this idea of restriction. I always want to have that open-ended feel to my career. I always like to keep doors open and if I can keep improving, I will keep doing that until someone shuts that door," he said.

"If I am playing in a way where people feel I need to be involved then great - if not, I will just be doing it for Toulon."

No comments:

Post a Comment