Friday 5 August 2011

England Manager Martin Johnson insists that the captaincy of his World Cup squad is still up for grabs just five weeks ahead of the tournament

Lewis Moody, who will lead England against Wales this weekend, is widely expected to be named the skipper when the final squad is announced on August 22 but Johnson says that no man is guaranteed a place the 30-man group.

"I've always said guys have got to get their place in the team," said Johnson.

"If any player isn't playing as well as another guy then is that other guy going to play? Well, yes.

"When we name the squad we will name our captain. Everyone is judged on merit and one of Lewis' merits is his leadership.

"You need that quality in the team and I think we missed him and Mike in the final Six Nations game in Dublin.

"Lewis, being who he is and what he has done, brings a huge amount of intangibles to the team but also adds to the collective."

And Moody welcomes the challenge.

"I am excited about this. Everyone is fired up and so they should be," said the 33-year-old Bath flanker.

"Every game leading into the World Cup is a trial for the squad and the individuals.

"I have always felt I have to prove myself, no matter what stage I am at in my career. There is always competition and that is what makes for a good squad.

"You have to make sure you are playing as well as you can do - and if you are captain that is an honour on top of that."

No comments:

Post a Comment